Tuesday, August 20, 2024

RIP Flipgrid 
Let's Pivot to Padlet

@LisaBerghoff


I am unhappy about the decision made by Microsoft to discontinue Flipgrid. There, I said it. Ok, now it's time to move on. I have long said that you "date the app but marry the capability". I didn't make that up but I can't remember who said it so if you're out there, please let me know so I can give you proper credit. What that means is that with anything in life, but especially with technology, one must never get too attached to a particular product because it is most definitely going to change or cease to exist. However, the capabilities are endless and there are always new tools with even better functionality. If we needed a tool for people to communicate and share via video, then that tool will continue to exist, even without Flipgrid. 

We are so lucky to have premium access to Padlet and while we all know and love it as a digital bulletin board application, it has become so so much more. There are some recent updates that are exciting and useful. Also, Padlet has the ability to record both video and audio. It also allows for comments and there are plenty of privacy options. Padlet also has the ability to import both from Flipgrid and Jamboard,  so you are not starting from scratch. 





The following one and a half minute video shows the ten most recent features as of spring 2024. Of course, Padlet is leveraging the power of artificial intelligence but it's not as something separate but integrated within the application. Take a look:



One of the features I am most excited about is the AI Recipe feature. Create a board by giving a topic and grade level and let the AI powered Padlet give you some suggestions. 

Another great way to make a Padlet without a ton of heavy lifting is to go to the gallery and choose a template. There are over 100 of them and you can search, filter, and sort to find just what you are looking for. They have everything from student portfolios, to polls, to podcast and reflection boards. I highly encourage you to check it out.

Here is a choice board template. I set this up as a getting to know you activity where students can choose to enter an image, sentence, song, video, or any combination. 


Feeling unsure about using Padlet? Of course you know I am here to help and work with you. However, Padlet also has a "learn" tab which houses 6 short videos to walk you through each step.  There is also an entire gallery of videos for specific uses.  I found myself perusing them just to get some inspiration.


Ok. I promised I would make this post short so you can spend less time reading and more time Padlet-ing.
Want to know what else you can do with Padlet?
Feel free to book a time with me and we can explore together!




No comments:

Post a Comment